Virtual group fitness class for Sibley Club Memory clients
- Saturdays for Seniors is a monthly fitness session led by a licensed physical therapist that focuses on various aspects of physical health. These virtual group fitness classes are provided for Sibley Club Memory clients, and previous topics include yoga, pilates, cardio, and balance.
- They occur on the 2nd Saturday of each month from 11AM to 12PM via Zoom.
- These fitness sessions are led by PTs affiliated with HEART.
- We are requesting volunteers for future sessions in April, May, and June 2021.
- Please sign up via this link if you would like to teach a class. Further information will be provided upon receipt of availability.
Saturdays for Seniors is a monthly fitness session led by a licensed physical therapist (PT) to focus on various aspects of physical health. These hour-long sessions will take place at 11AM via virtual platform (Zoom). The PT will make every attempt to modify movements to minimize risk of injury.
Participants can ask questions in the chat box, and the last 10 minutes of each class will feature an “Ask A PT” segment. Because this is a group fitness class and not a formal physical therapy session, the physical therapists will not be providing specific medical advice. The PTs recommend that participants consult with a physician if there are any medical related questions. Participants are welcome to schedule a PT visit with any of the PTs that lead a session after consultation with their physician.
Each session will start with stretching. Most activities can be done either sitting or standing near a chair. The PTs ask that participants keep a glass of water nearby to stay hydrated.
2nd Saturday of each month from 11AM to 12PM
October 10, 2020: “Dance Cardio with Sheena”
November 14, 2020: “Chair Yoga with Valerie”
December 12, 2020: “Bettering Your Balance with Jennifer”
January 9, 2021: “Yoga and Pilates with Mikaila”
February 13, 2021: “Dance Cardio with Sheena”
March 13, 2021: “Indian Dance with Subha”
April 8, 2021: “Beyond Breath : An introduction to Breathwork and Meditation”
May 8, 2021: “Yoga and Pilates with Mikaila”
June 12, 2021: “Strengthening with Jennifer”
July 10, 2021: “Full Body Stretching with Liz”
August 14, 2021: “Dance Cardio with Sheena”
September 11, 2021: “Strengthening with Megan”
These fitness sessions will be led by PTs affiliated with HEART (Health Equity & Anti-Racism Team) of the DC Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).
To sign up to attend as a participant, please contact Sharon Sellers by calling (202) 660-6957 or e-mailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org